Thursday, August 6, 2009

Why I Don't Get Much Done These Days

The reason is a certain nearly-one-year-old who loves opening [and emptying] every cupboard and drawer in my tiny apartment. Oh and did I mention how much he loves it when I load the dishwasher? Well, for Oliver it's a race to see who's faster: the tired mommy who is loading the dishwasher or the tireless baby who is unloading it simultaneously.

In addition to my kitchen crisis, we have stairs. The stairs represent a never ending battle between myself and said baby boy. I stack a combination of two fully inflated inter tubes and 1 couch cushion, resulting in a 3 1/2 foot barricade that not only keeps Oliver from going up the stairs (and falling down them) but also means that the rest of us get to maneuver over the obstacle--we approach the stairs one of two ways: either we walk on my couch and climb over the banister, or we clumsily step over the 3 1/2 foot tower.
Yesterday, I was trying to digest my situation, feeling like I will never again have a clean and clutter free environment where I can sing my heart out without apartment neighbors being bothered. I looked outside and noticed a rare occurrence--my neighbors were not at home. So for the second time since moving here I sang, wishing I knew which box the disks to my player piano were. I said a half hearted prayer that they'd turn up--half hearted because, quite honestly, lately I've felt that my most earnest prayers are not being answered.

After putting the kids to bed, I went on my nightly run while Noah stayed home with the two sleeping kids and the one screaming baby.

When I returned Noah was sitting at the piano with Oliver, playing one of my disks I hadn't heard since we left Utah. Without knowing I was looking for them, Noah had rummaged around some boxes looking for an old text book. It was there he uncovered my missing disks--the very disks I had prayed to find.

I needed that.

5 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet little tender mercy and I know you'll be blessed for recognizing the Lord's hand in that little miracle. Kudos for Noah too, what a sweet guy! Don't you love it when husbands do great things without even know how GREAT it is to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great story! Proverbs 3:5, thats what has gotten me through when I have prayed and prayed and not gotten an answer. Its not until I truly did trust the Lord. Keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. Small and simple things keep us going (and build our faith)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post...really. Everyday I have to remind myself that the Lord really IS listening and I'm the one who has to remember to do my part. I'm so, so glad Noah (and the Lord:) found them for you.

    ReplyDelete